Contributors

Monday, November 22, 2010

In the beginning

There was food. And the food was good, and I ate the food and said "The food is good".

Now just for some back story, the D-word has been rampaging its way through my family for some time. So I've always had this thought towards complex carbs, protein, low carb, low sugar, and on and on and on. But I still made things full on sugar, didn't eat enough leafy greens and had portions that were way too big. And pumpkin lattes, and pumpkin scones, and pumpkin anything really. Starbucks made a mint off me for a while there.

And then there was diabetes, type 2 to be exact. Not all slam bang right in the face, but over time, the D-word crept up and wrapped its cold, non-sugar fingers around my pancreas. I had gestational diabetes with both of my boys, and was even on insulin with my youngest. When that happens, you have like a 80-150% chance of becoming diabetic yourself, later on. And with just about everyone in my fam having it too, my chances crept up to 315%. So in June of the fine year of 2010, about 2 weeks before I broke my ankle (another story, for another time). I got the diagnosis of....the D-word. Wheee!

Now this wasn't a surprise considering my fam and self history, but there was still a fair amount of pumpkin grief. And chocolate grief, and pasta grief, bread grief, potatoe grief, and just flat foodie grief. And while I'll never again enjoy the All-American Chocolate Cake from Costco, I've found lots of things, in my fledgling little D-word having life that are pretty darn good. And as time goes on, I'm finding more and more things to gratify the foodie in me and have decided to share.

The following posts will contain the recipes, tweaks, and info I find on the journey to health and well-eating. I am not and will never be a health professional. I am merely a fellow D-wordite on the path to yum. Always ask your health care professional health related questions. I'll be sharing tips, travails and perhaps funny things, as there is a dearth of them on the web. I hope you enjoy, and read and comment and give your own tweaks and tips and funny things. Nice to meet you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment