Contributors

Tuesday, October 2, 2012





Today's culinary project totally deserved a post--so here goes:

With the fall season coming fast, I find myself in my usual conundrum.  How to satisfy my need for speed-uh-I mean pumpkin lattes?  Pumpkin and I are friends, bff's really although lately I haven't been able to return her phone calls.  But believe me, until they told me I shouldn't hang out with her I did so often and in nearly every way possible.  In scones, pie, cake, bread, soup, lattes.  I know I'm not even scraping the top slots off the list, and this is before gutting her and eating her young roasted in a wide variety of coverings, up to and including Sriracha.  Then I found out that SHE's not the problem, it's the SUGAR!!  And Jeez is there a lot in the offerings of most coffee houses.  Pumpkin latte is the name of the day here, though.  Pumpkin lattes are awesome but also chock full of sugar or made out of watery syrup which then lacks consistency.  Imagine then, if you will, my joy when hubby sent me this recipe last night.  I don't know why I don't think of these things until he's told me I should.  SHsshhhh though, don't tell HIM I said that!

As with my previous(if not sparse) posts before, I've tossed my handfull of tweaks on a found (or in this case received) recipe in red.  I used what was in my personal pantry out of a desire to not go to the store and open another vein and plus it was better anyway.   And I doubled the recipe because really, we all know it will go fast.  


Pumpkin Spice Coffee Creamer
1cup of organic whole milk(2 cups 1%)
1cup of organic heavy whipping cream(2 cups half and half)
3 tablespoons of organic pumpkin puree (I used 4-ha!)(Kind of lost count but somewhere near 9 or possibly up to 15 tbsp used)
1 teaspoon of pumpkin spice(again kind of winged it here, 2 tsp cinnamon, about 3/4 of nutmeg(I reserve the right to increase at a later time and plus it was freshly microplaned off a nutmeg nut), about 1/4 tsp cloves and what looked like a proper amount of the frozen, chopped ginger from a few weeks ago.  Oh yes, and there's probably 12 whole allspice thingies floating around in there too.  
4 table Maple Syrup (I prefer pretty high quality you can taste the difference)(I just tossed some splenda in here instead)
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract(will add this when it's time to strain, or after I get back with the kid, which will be about the same time)
(I also added 1 teaspoon of cinnamon)

Warmed till steamy, added all the spicy goodies, let it simmer slowly while I typed this and will strain it when I'm home from collecting the rug rat.  If it's anywhere as good as it smells like it will be, I just may make another pot of coffee today.  Thanks, Honey!

First update:  It's super, duper thick!  Added about another cup of milk and reheating to see if that helps.  Otherwise will need to go get some cheesecloth.  

1 comment:

  1. Ok so....I don't recommend using ground cinnamon here. I'm going to re-try it in the next day or so with cinnamon sticks instead, the ground cinnamon made things super thick and not in a good way. We discovered this before when we were adding cinnamon to coffee during the brewing, but I had forgotten.

    ReplyDelete